Titanium dioxide is mainly used in the following industries:
1. The coating industry is the largest industry which uses titanium dioxide, in particular, rutile titanium dioxide is mostly consumed in the coating industry. Titanium dioxide used in paint has bright color, high covering power, strong tinting strength, small dosage and many varieties. It can protect the stability of the medium, enhance the mechanical strength and adhesion force of the paint film, prevent cracks, prevent the penetration of ultraviolet and water, and prolong the service life of the paint film.
2. The plastics industry is the second largest user of titanium dioxide. Titanium dioxide plastics can enhance the heat resistance, light resistance and weather resistance of plastic products, improve the physical and chemical properties of plastic products, strengthen the mechanical strength of products, and prolong the service life.
3. The papermaking industry is the third largest user of titanium dioxide. Titanium dioxide can be used as paper filler mainly in high-grade paper and thin paper. With titanium dioxide in paper, the paper will have better whiteness, bright luster, high strength and light weight. In addition, the paper will be thin and smooth but not be penetrated during the printing. Titanium dioxide used in papermaking generally adopts anatase titanium dioxide without surface treatment, which can play the role of fluorescent whitening agent and increase the whiteness of paper. However, it is required to use rutile titanium dioxide with surface treatment in laminated paper to meet the requirements of light and heat resistance.
4. Titanium dioxide is also an indispensable white pigment in advanced ink. The ink containing titanium dioxide is durable and non-discoloring with good surface wettability, and it is easy to disperse. The titanium dioxide used in ink industry include rutile titanium dioxide and anatase titanium dioxide.
5. Textile and chemical fiber industry is another important application field of titanium dioxide. Titanium dioxide is mainly used as delustering agents for chemical fibers. Anatase titanium dioxide is generally used because it is softer than rutile titanium dioxide. Titanium dioxide for chemical fibers does not need surface treatment, but some special varieties need surface treatment in order to reduce the photochemical effect of titanium dioxide and avoid the degradation of fibers under the photocatalysis of titanium dioxide .
6. Enamel industry is an important application field of titanium dioxide. Enamel grade titanium dioxide has high purity, good whiteness, bright color, uniform particle size, strong refractive index and high lightening power. In addition, it has strong opacification and opacity, which makes the coating thin, smooth and acid resistant after the enamel. Titanium dioxide can be mixed with other materials evenly and melted easily in the enamel manufacturing process without agglomeration.